Sunday, October 31, 2010
Friday, October 29, 2010
Thursday, October 28, 2010
Measure out your noodles according to the book. The handles on the side of the boat are pasta measures, and they are accurate in my opinion.
Wednesday, October 27, 2010
Monday, October 25, 2010
My mother came to visit a few weeks ago and I asked her to show me how to can applesauce.
I was a bit scared but I wanted to have applesauce for my bread recipes. I grew up watching my mother and her sisters can every summer. They did peaches mainly. I remember thinking it was just not worth it. It took all day and it looked really hard. Now I realize that it was probably fun for my mom and aunts. They got to spend time together, talk about their families and with all of them there it really wasn't hard, just time consuming. I also have learned that money is precious, so why waste it when you can get something cheaper. A very good lesson. Thanks Mom!
I had a ton of fun making these and I want to share it with you guys. It was really not that hard and I plan on doing it again...alone!
Here is my oldest trying to be silly.
- Wash your apples
- Peel your apples
- Core your apples
- Slice your apples into chunks (you can do the coring and the chunking with one of those fun apples slicer things. They are only a few bucks at the store and are great for fast snacks)
- Cook the apples as I did above OR put them into your crock pot and cook them all day:
Crock pot Recipe:
10-12 apples (medium to large in size)
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
Cook on low for about 8 hours.
- when they are super soft use a masher and mash them to bits
- Put into your food processor or blender to puree to your liking
Saturday, October 23, 2010
- 5 gallon bucket
- old detergent bottles (small enough to lift and shake easily)
- Washing Soda
- Fels Naptha bar soap
All of these ingredients can be found in your supermarket. Walmart has Borax and gallon bucket with lids. Smith's has Washing Soda, Borax and the Fels Napth bars.
TIP: Cut the bottom off of a milk container and use it as a funnel.